’16 & Pregnant’ star gets pregnant again, has an abortion – in new MTV special

This story just makes me so sad. As soon as I read it, my heart dropped. Markai Durham, whose pregnancy was chronicled in the latest season of ’16 & Pregnant’ has since gotten pregnant again – and has had an abortion. MTV has dedicated a new show ‘No Easy Decision’ on her second pregnancy, and her decision to abort it.

After chronicling her ups and downs as a teen mom on MTV’s wildly successful reality show 16 & Pregnant, Markai Durham will take viewers with her as she decides to abort her second pregnancy in a special episode on the network called No Easy Decision.

In advance of the show’s Tuesday premiere, Durham opened up about the controversy surrounding the show on her Facebook page.

“My motive for this episode is to not say ‘hey look at me I got pregnant again.’ But to encourage you all to stand up for each other. To respect one another to feel each other’s sympathy and pain. One thing we can all agree on is no one is pro-abortion! (no one with a heart at least) No one wants to have an abortion or even go through this type of procedure,” Durham wrote.

Airing Tuesday, December 28 at 11:30 pm, the show has received critical heat from pro-life circles and from critics of MTV who say the network glamorizes teen pregnancy. Durham added that the reason she went public with her decision was to shed light on the judgment women who have an abortion suffer through.

“I didn’t make this public because I thought your opinions mattered. I didn’t make this public because I thought you would respect me. I could have easily not told a soul and kept you all thinking I’m just another girl on 16 & Pregnant. I made this public so you all can see how disrespectful people can be because of a decision they feel was right for them.”

The episode also features Dr. Drew Pinsky who will counsel the teens on the show.

I think it’s tragic. The whole thing. What’s your take?

Tags: ,

Tuesday, December 28th, 2010 at 9:09am
Filed under MTV | 9 Comments

Comments

Comments

December 28th, 2010 at 9:23 am

Maybe MTV could help these girls work to prevent future pregnancies.

December 28th, 2010 at 10:06 am

I think this show and all others like it are tragic. Our society is sinking to new lows all the time. No wonder we are hated around the world.

December 28th, 2010 at 10:27 am

What does it take for people to learn how easy it is to get pregnant? What they need to realize is that it is just as easy to prevent pregnancy.

I have always thought that birth control should be available for free or at least cheaper. Many young girls don’t want to tell their parents they are having sex so they don’t go to the DR and get a prescription. If birth control was easier to obtain and cheaper I think more girls would use it.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that having sex so young is terrible but we will never stop young teens from doing it, so instead we need to help prevent pregnancies.

December 28th, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I think she is one of the BRAVEST women I have heard of.

Not an easy choice, but she has the right to make that choice. Bravo!!

December 29th, 2010 at 4:30 am

Best choice, girl! More to follow ur xample…

December 29th, 2010 at 5:31 am

I was wondering when they would address abortion on the show. They all say they ever never considered it or briefly did. I didn’t think they would actually do it.

December 29th, 2010 at 8:48 am

I watched this show last night and was very impressed with the way she handled herself. Very mature for a 16 year old.

December 29th, 2010 at 10:51 am

I’m nearly thirty and have never had a pregnancy scare, and can’t fathom what it would be like (as well as being a teen mom). I agree with Lesh–it’s just as easy to prevent pregnancy as it is to get pregnant (sometimes easier for some, I suppose).

November 12th, 2011 at 9:19 am

They do glamorize teen pregnancy because these women get paid to be on the show just like they get paid to be on teen mom.. Its like saying its okay to get pregnant cuz u can be on mtv and get paid to show ur life as a young parent. They make more money than some ppl that actually graduated school and even went to college.. For doing nothing at all..