Julianne Hough: “No sex before marriage”

Julianne Hough

Dancing with the Stars’ Julianne Hough says that she has been tempted by the excess of Hollywood, but is sticking to her vow to remain a virgin until marriage.

“I want to be with that special person,” she tells CosmoGIRL! in excerpts posted on ET.online. “I think [the choice] to have sex before marriage is an individual one, but if you’re just with one person, it’s only for one good reason, and [waiting to have sex] will strengthen that relationship. I’m not trying to preach consequences here, but I think when you say no, down the line it will be a better decision.”

The 19-year-old dancer, paired in competition with DWTS champs Apolo Ono and Helio Castroneves, says the pressures surrounding dating within the entertainment industry has been hard on her – so she’s turned to her family for support.

“My dad, whom I’m very close with, will text me, ‘Are you doing the right things, in the right place, at the right time?’” she says. “And it’s usually when I’m someplace I shouldn’t be. So I’ll call him and say, ‘Thanks, I needed to hear that.’”

As for meeting new people, Hough, who broke off her engagement last year, says she’s had some trouble fitting in with Hollywood.

“I tried to go out and mingle with people in the industry and date people, but I felt I was different than most of them,” she says. “I don’t drink, smoke or do drugs, so those things immediately separate me. It’s all very enticing, though.”

WENN

Thursday, March 6th, 2008 at 9:09am
Filed under Julianne Hough | 26 Comments

Comments

Comments

March 6th, 2008 at 9:48 am

I hope that this girl stays on the straight and narrow pathway. I like her and I hope she does NOT give in to the temptations of H-wood.

March 6th, 2008 at 9:59 am

Is she gorgeous or what?

March 6th, 2008 at 10:28 am

I would NEVER in my right mind marry someone I hadn’t already slept with, EVER. This outdated mode of thinking only causes problems down the road, and goes against basic human nature. We all want to get off. Get over it. Physical intimacy is part of the deal and without some practice, it can be a deal breaker. Nothing worse than marrying a lousy lay.

March 6th, 2008 at 11:03 am

Clone her, clone her now!

March 6th, 2008 at 11:16 am

Good for her. And she looks fantastic!

March 6th, 2008 at 11:50 am

she’s mormon so….

March 6th, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Being someone that waited for that special guy, I wouldnt say either of us is suffering in that department. You learn together, what each one wants and needs, it only gets better and better. I dont see how it would or could “cause problems down the road” at all…I think thats a misguided statement.

March 6th, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Who gives a shit? Why is she sharing it with the world? And who is she anyway?

March 6th, 2008 at 12:57 pm

sex is great
im with Meazy

March 6th, 2008 at 8:36 pm

I agree with me, in a lot of cultures women remain virgins until they get married, I don’t they are suffering at all! If she wants to remain a virgin, good for her! I hope more young girls learn from her! She’s totally gorgeous btw!

March 7th, 2008 at 10:22 am

She sort of reminds me of Christina Aguilera….a toned down version lol

March 7th, 2008 at 2:08 pm

totally agree with Meazy, why lock yourself in to somebody when you don’t know if the sex is good or not? how stupid

April 11th, 2008 at 4:56 pm

Oh… Meazy… you have so much to learn. Having five sons who are following their Dad’s idea of respect for women it makes me glad that my boys would be the type that Julianne would be looking for in this world full of guys like you. I am sure you can find a “used” girl to marry… they are more common. Go Julianne ! Trust me… everyone draws a physical sensitivity line and after 30 years of marriage and not even “kissing” before marriage… it does get better and better.

April 11th, 2008 at 8:25 pm

YOU GO GIRL ! I waited for my husband & we were both virgins when we married, not b/c we were goodie goodie, b/c if that’s your personal pref. than stick to it b/c it is SO WORTH IT !!! I give so much props to such a sweet girl, luv ya Jul !

July 30th, 2008 at 3:00 pm

She does look like Christina Aguilera. On the virginity choice…it only works if one of two factors are present.
1.) The other person is a virgin
2.) The other person is not a virgin but has not had “mind-blowing” sex.
Most people will have a hard time dealing with a person’s lack of experience after awhile even if they like the person. They will look for abilities found in people who have gotten past certain milestones.

July 31st, 2008 at 11:46 pm

I absolutely adore Julianne. I actually didnt know her until I watched a rerun show of Ellen Degeneres with herself and Helio as guest stars. I’ve watched Dancing with the Stars but never followed it intently. For some odd reason, everytime I watched it Cheryl Burke was on and I fell inlove with her. Anyway, the point being is that.. I find it soo hard to believe that Julianne can actually commit to staying a virgin. She may possess the greatest values but given the circumstances, (with her being all popular with all the A-list men in Hollywood) I don’t think it’ll be that long before she gives in to the temptation.

BUT I surely hope that she won’t. There are very few people out there who actually commit..people with all the right qualities, values and beliefs. Julianne… I have doubts but.. hey, for someone to come out and say that, in the first place takes a lot of courage! And quite frankly, I don’t think she’s the type who’d say that JUST to get attention!

August 3rd, 2008 at 11:34 am

No one in there right mind should announce they are a virgin, IT IS PERSONAL, AND SHOULD STOP BEING MADE PUBLIC, I DON’T CARE.

August 3rd, 2008 at 11:37 am

ANYTHING ELSE PRIVATE SHE NEEDS TO SHARE! I wish famous people would learn that less is more.

September 8th, 2008 at 11:22 am

Hey all~

I love Juliann Hough on DWTS she was always my favorite dancer and with good reasons too, because she won 2 times in a row! I think she is beautiful and reminds me alot of Christina Aguilera, but without all the excess make-up. She is a cutie and has a great shape, voice and lots of talent. I am proud of her decision to remain a virgin until marriage and I agree with her and support her all the way! Good-luck girl and don’t ever give up your dreams or give into temptations! Take care & God bless you!

~Love, Sarah :)

October 9th, 2008 at 5:13 am

TC, I don’t think she “announced” that she is a virgin. Further, I don’t think this is some obnoxious or self-righteous proclamation (as has become commonplace in Hollywood).

I think she made the announcement (that she is waiting for marriage) because she’s obviously been tempted to some degree recently. I think she’s hoping that this will help alleviate some of the pressure, since guys will know her position going into a relationship.

Will it work? Will it ease the pressure? Probably not in a narcissistic place like Hollywood. She might get a little respect from half of the men out there, but for the other half, this declaration is more of a challenge. Hopefully she’ll be able to discern between the two types.

On the other hand, I agree. Everyone talks about their sexuality, sexual preference and virgin status like it’s everyone’s business. Keep it to yourself.

November 13th, 2008 at 7:35 am

I think it says a lot for Julianne to come out and state her beliefs. Especially in the day and age we live. I hope that she can just withstand the temptations that she will have until she actually marries. Julianne is on HOT MAMA and if I were about twenty years younger a fun ime would be had by all. Keep the music coming and keep the faith.

April 15th, 2009 at 7:45 am

I totally love that she is waiting. My husband and I waited until our wedding night. And ok, our sex life is ridiculously awesome! I mean, he has natural talent! It doesn’t take practice to know how someone makes you feel and then respond to them, it’s a natural thing! Waiting is wonderful and if more young women did it today I think they would definitely be struggling with less depression and self-esteem issues.

May 14th, 2009 at 6:04 pm

If you and your significant other aren’t any good , neither of you will know it. It’s what God intende.

st. george retirement community">st. george retirement community
June 12th, 2009 at 12:44 pm

I’m sorry, that comment at the beginning by Meazy really got to me. You obviously have a very self-centered, selfish outlook on life. Sex just isn’t about feeling good. With your attitude and lifestyle, you’ll never be able to appreciate or enjoy to the fullest extent physical intimacy with the person you love and are loyal to.

Sharlene">Sharlene
September 11th, 2011 at 7:11 am

Now i’m shifted by the way a person dealt with this kind of subject matter. It is not usually My partner and i come across a web site using interesting content articles like your own house. I will jot down the give food to to keep up-to-date along with approaching changes. Merely stunning along with accomplish carry on the strong work.

December 27th, 2012 at 7:29 am

Keep in mind people who read this; this article was published 4 or 5 years ago. She’s dated quite a few guys since then… And according to what I’ve read; she’s been living the “everything in moderation” lifestyle. So…. My guess would be that she is certainly not a virgin. I’m not saying that she sleeps around; because she is a devout Christian, but in this day and age; it’s hard to believe that any 24 year old can say she hasn’t been taken to bed by at least one man.

Either I’m right; and she’s having sex; or I’m wrong, and she’s just really horny.