I am so excited to announce this new contest – and Lifetime’s new original movie, ‘Aaliyah, The Princess of R&B!’ The new movie will premiere on November 15th at 8:00 ET!
Before Beyonce and before Rihanna, self-proclaimed “street but sweet” Aaliyah was poised to become a global icon with top-selling albums, a hot movie career and an adoring fan base. I remember Aaliyah so well. She just exploded on the scene – and EVERYONE was talking about her.
Lifetime’s NEW movie stars Alexandra Shipp as singer Aaliyah. The film will begin in the early days of her career – up until her tragic death. The movie is based upon the bestselling book, “Aaliyah: More Than a Woman” by former Time Magazine music editor Christopher John Farley.
The film follows the beautiful and talented performer’s inspirational journey, from her debut on Star Search at the age of ten, to the challenges she faced during her rise to become the Princess of R&B. The movie will also touch on her high-profile relationship with Damon Dash, her brief marriage to R-Kelly (which producers say will be handled “tastefully”), and her shocking death.
On August 25, 2001, at the height of her popularity, her life was tragically cut short when a plane carrying the singer and some of her video crew crashed after takeoff from a Bahamian runway. I remember that day vividly!
Although just 22-years-old at the time of her death, Aaliyah continues to lead a legacy as Billboard’s tenth most famous R&B artist of the past 25 years and one of the recording industry’s most successful artists in history.
The two-hour movie is executively produced by Howard Braunstein, Debra Martin Chase and Wendy Williams. “We let you know what happened with Aaliyah and R. Kelly. Nothing is distasteful. You don’t want to be distasteful, but you need to tell a story.”
Lifetime’s Original Movie, Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B, stars Alexandra Shipp (House of Anubis) as the beloved actress and music sensation.
- Alexandra Shipp as Aaliyah
o Multi-talented actress and singer/songwriter who starred as KT Rush in the Nickelodeon series House of Anubis. Additional credits include the upcoming film Drumline 2: A New Beat, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, Ray Donovan, Victorious, Switched at Birth and Awkward. Shipp is currentlyfilming Universal Pictures’ Straight Outta Compton.
- Rachael Crawford (The Man) as Diane Haughton
- Sterling Jarvis (The Sentinel) as Mike Haughton
- A.J. Saudin (Degrassi: The Next Generation) as Aaliyah’s brother Rashad Haughton
- Lyriq Bent (Saw IV) as her uncle and music manager Barry Hankerson
- Anthony Grant as Damon Dash
- Izaak Smith (Mirror, Mirror) as Timbaland
- Elise Neal (The Soul Man) as Gladys Knight
- Chattrisse Dolabaille (Home Away) as Missy Elliot.
Want to join the conversation?
To enter, follow @ICYDK @LifetimeTV and TWEET your entry using the #AaliyahMovie hashtag.
Answer one – or all (for extra chances to win) of these questions – and be entered to win a $150 VISA GIFTCARD! Winner will be announced the day before the premiere – November 14th!
• As an icon and legendary singer, dancer and actress, what are some of your favorite Aaliyah moments from her career?
• Which of Aaliyah’s acting roles was your favorite?
• What is your all-time favorite song from music icon Aaliyah?
• What was your favorite Aaliyah fashion moment and have you ever tried to recreate it?
• Which one of your favorite Aaliyah songs, dance videos and/or movie roles best resonates with you?
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Lifetime, but the opinions here are 100% mine.