Robin Thicke’s new song causing controversy for being “rapey”?

There’s a new song on the air taking over the charts! I’m sure you’ve heard it – and you probably love it – it’s called “Blurred Lines,” and it’s by Robin Thicke, T.I. and Pharrell. If you’ve listened closely, you’ve undoubtedly heard the rather raunchy lyrics. The song is downright dirty, no getting around that. There are two versions of the video. One you can see here- and there’s also a NSFW video, which is basically FULL of naked chicks. (SEE THE NSFW VERSION AFTER THE JUMP!)

Anyway, the controversy surrounding the song is the message it sends. Depending on how you interpret the lyrics, you might think Robin was singing about taking advantage of a girl.

Here’s a sure-fire way to get the No. 1 record in the country: engineer a fake controversy by making an unrated version of your video featuring strutting, mostly naked supermodels. That’s the route blue-eyed crooner Robin Thicke took with his single “Blurred Lines,” which sits atop the Billboard charts this week, ending Macklemore’s long reign.

The video, which was banned from YouTube at the end of March, continues to live on in its full naked glory on Vevo—coincidentally, a partner of YouTube—where salacious viewers can view three models, Emily Ratajkowski, Jessi M’Bengue, and Elle Evans, wearing nothing but shoes and nude-hued thongs, as they cavort and dance and flirt with Thicke, Pharrell, and T.I., who are all fully clothed. The group play with weird, nonsensical props—a needle, a lamb—and in between the screen intermittently flashes hashtags (i.e., #Thicke). CONTINUE READING + VIDEO AFTER THE JUMP!

I’m not even going to lie and pretend I haven’t watched this 5 times today. It’s hot….that’s all there is to it.

At one point, the sentence, “Robin Thicke has a big d–k,” is displayed in large Mylar balloons.

So far, so … sexy? Depends on who you ask.

The nudity might be fine if the song was called, “Let’s All Have Some Fun,” but it’s called “Blurred Lines,” and the subject itself is enough to make some female music fans uncomfortable. The song is about how a girl really wants crazy wild sex but doesn’t say it—positing that age-old problem where men think no means yes into a catchy, hummable song.

“Good girl, I know you want it,” sings Thicke, who has all of his clothes on, as one of the near-naked models dances and pouts next to him. “Talk about getting blasted, I hate these blurred lines, I know you want it, but you’re a good girl, the way you grab me, must want to get nasty.”

Not surprisingly the combination of the lyrics and the video’s nudity has irked some female music fans.

“Has anyone heard Robin Thicke’s new rape song?” Lisa Huyne wrote in a post on her blog, Feminist in L.A. “Basically, the majority of the song (creepily named ‘Blurred Lines’) has the R&B singer murmuring ‘I know you want it’ over and over into a girl’s ear. Call me a cynic, but that phrase does not exactly encompass the notion of consent in sexual activity … Seriously, this song is disgusting—though admittedly very catchy.”

Canadian model Amy Davison also took issue with the clip. In a YouTube video titled “Robin Thicke is a dick,” she explained why the women showing so much skin got under her skin.

“The women are clearly being used as objects to reinforce the status of the men in the video. The men have all the control and status because they are not vulnerable—they are completely covered. Whereas the women have no status and are totally open to be exploited ogled and used,” she said. “It doesn’t jibe with me.”

I can totally see the point of this writer. The lyrics ARE intense, and could easily be interpreted to be “rapey.” What do you think? All in good fun – or did he take it too far?

Thursday, June 20th, 2013 at 8:08am
Filed under Robin Thicke | 21 Comments

Comments

Comments

Tiana">
Tiana">Tiana
June 20th, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Are they serious? They completely took it out of context….One needs to read the REST of the lyrics to the song, not just the chorus, in FULL context:

OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you
But you’re an animal, baby it’s in your nature
Just let me liberate you
Hey, hey, hey
You don’t need no papers
Hey, hey, hey
That man is not your maker.

This song is CLEARLY about a guy trying to get with a woman who is either married or has a boyfriend. Nothing about the song is rapey at all.

June 20th, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Are you freaking kidding me? My god, I agree with the other poster. It’s so painfully obvious that it’s about a guy trying to win over a girl. Hell, listen to most of Robin’s songs, and you know they’re about sex. It’s nothing new. Don’t like, don’t listen. Just stop with the freaking feminist complaints.

June 20th, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Has no one listened to rap lyrics? “Smack That” by Akon, Eminem’s “Stan” (he locks his pregnant gf in the trunk and kills her), or any of Lil Wayne’s derogatory and vulgar lyrics? I think these, while risque, are far more benign.

June 20th, 2013 at 7:03 pm

“Stop with the freaking feminist complaints.” Why should anyone listen to you? When there’s a deep misogyny embedded in the world, no one should shut up. It hurts both men and women. The song can be about what you say it is and still be creepy to some people. To me it’s just a silly song with an absolutely absurd video, to others it’s exploitative.

And saying it’s less creepy or violent than other songs has nothing to do with how creepy or violent the song itself is. That’s like saying that theft is less bad than murder, so we might as well go a-murdering.

June 20th, 2013 at 8:57 pm

This guy disgusts me.

June 21st, 2013 at 1:15 am

@Jamie, I think it’s wrong to ignore something that’s harmful just because something else is even more harmful. That’s akin to saying that a mild degree of misogyny is acceptable.

June 21st, 2013 at 2:17 am

Learn how to dance, then you will probably understand the lyrics.

June 21st, 2013 at 6:27 am

I agree with Tiana, I took it as trying to convince the girl to leave and/or cheat on her husband. It never sounded to me like she didn’t want it, just that she was torn between trying to stay faithful and what she wanted… which doesn’t seem rapey to me, just sleazy.

June 21st, 2013 at 8:16 am

I have never understood the feminist stance that whenever a woman is naked in something she is being made vulnerable. I could see if they had naked girls cowering in a corner or something but the girls in the video are confidently strutting around and the guys are mostly following them around like puppy dogs. Anyone who has been in the dating scene knows that woman have the power it’s the men chasing them.

June 21st, 2013 at 8:37 am

i like the music. but the lyrics together with the video and the entire ‘pro-rape’ atmosphere right now make me sick!! i want all men in the world to know it’s not fun or sexy to be taken advantage of. i can#t accept anyone making money of a video like this. especially the women involved.

Nugget">
Nugget">Nugget
June 21st, 2013 at 8:55 am

What makes it creepy is the smug smarmy look on RT’s face. You are paying those girls to prance around you douche. Don’t take yourself so damn seriously. No one else does.

Then again, I could actually imagine it as the background track of the pinball scene in The Accused. Especially if RT’s in the shot.

Mrs. Odie 2">Mrs. Odie 2
June 21st, 2013 at 9:16 am

What? A song about a man trying to get a woman to have sex with him? Get out!

June 21st, 2013 at 11:09 am

When you call a woman an animal who needs to be domesticated it’s basically a rape song.

June 21st, 2013 at 12:48 pm

@Jamie – well the song Stan is actually about Eminem being creeped out by a guy who took his lyrics to literally, it is condemning doing that sort of thing in real life

June 21st, 2013 at 1:06 pm

@ken,

But Robin said “HE tried” as in some other guy. Robin doesn’t want the girl to be domesticated. He wants her to do what’s in her nature. Which is, have sex with him, preferably nasty as hell.

June 21st, 2013 at 3:31 pm

It seems I’m a complete dummie, because I thought the “blurred lines” were, like, blurring bars over boobies in film and television. And, he is taking those puritanical blurring lines away so that the boobies can bounce around in full public view, because he thinks there is nothing wrong with that… It would have been better if the men were prancing around unclothed, too, though…

June 21st, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Thank you eiaboca, well said. @Damian of course you’ve never “understood the feminist stance on….” you’re a guy. How about you try listening to what women here are saying rather than commenting on how you just don’t get it like it’s silly. You’re not helping.

June 22nd, 2013 at 12:44 am

I can buy into the fantasy this song represents. Can we all agree this is a FANTASY, not representative of relationships between men and women in real life?

The women here look bored and the men barely move their lips, let alone their bodies…in a DANCE VIDEO. On the men’s side, maybe because they know they are out sexed and out moved every.time by the women…On the women’s side, maybe because they know that naked boobs are really not that big a deal, and if men are that shallow, well, why not get paid for the money shot.

Real world women don’t want a man to objectify them 24/7…just 2 hrs a day – maybe where this song comes in – and in the privacy of a monogamous relationship.

Real men don’t want a woman that struts around naked being bored…except for two hours a day – again, maybe where this song comes in – in the privacy of a monogamous relationship.

People in relationships (men and women) want someone that pulls their weight. This means paying bills and being compassionate in a 50/50 relationship.

But HELL YA! Put this song and/or video on for fun times. Why the hell not?

June 22nd, 2013 at 9:03 am

I stopped watching after the first hashtag. Juvenile, smarmy and sad.

June 24th, 2013 at 12:56 am

And the line about “baby can you breathe, I got this from Jamaica”… what’s that about?

August 28th, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Rape-y song. Disappointing that it got that rapey message but still in good tunes.