Oprah Winfrey shows off her real hair for the first time!

For the first time ever, Oprah is gracing the cover of her magazine, O, with her hair in it’s natural state. In September’s “Makeover Issue”, Winfrey opens up in her column, “What I Know For Sure”, about her hair and the major role it plays in the expression of “self”.

Winfrey writes that wearing her hair naturally – as she often does on weekends and on vacation – makes her feel unencumbered and that she once wanted to just cut it all off. “I wanted to wear it close-cropped a la Camille Cosby but her husband Bill convinced me otherwise. ‘Don’t do it,’ he said. ‘You’ve got the wrong head shape and you’ll disappoint yourself.’ I took his advice.” Although, never one to shy away from a style update, Winfrey is a firm believer that changing your hairstyle can change what we see and feel is possible. “I even notice a change in my dogs when they get their summer cuts: they’re friskier and livelier, feeling more themselves once the weight of the hair is released.”

After all of makeovers that she’s done in the magazine and on TV, Oprah stands firm that the only makeovers that are maintained are “those in which something inside the receiver clicks, aligning with that which is being received. The only way to real transformation is through the mind.”

What do you think about Oprah’s hair?

Go to http://www.oprah.com/omagazine.html for more, and read the full column in the September issue of O, The Oprah Magazine, on newsstands August 7th.

Wednesday, August 1st, 2012 at 8:08am
Filed under Oprah | 11 Comments

Comments

Comments

August 1st, 2012 at 9:56 am

i LOVE it. FAB!

August 1st, 2012 at 11:33 am

maybe her real hair, certainly not her real face haha

August 1st, 2012 at 3:40 pm

It’s full, curly, gorgeous! Why hasn’t she worn it like this all along? What is the matter with her?

August 1st, 2012 at 3:49 pm

“Why hasn’t she worn it like this all along?” Hello? Because it’s much easier and faster to put a hat* on it. A different style for every day and no hours and hours of maintenance.
[*You may know it as a wig.]
And yes, about the only thing not photo-shopped to the max on that cover is Oprah’s hair.

August 1st, 2012 at 7:20 pm

If looks could kill, Oprah’s sanctimonious visage would have long murdered me. She needs to go bald as far as I’m concerned. Finally, what’s a dog doing with other dogs as pets…go figure.

Sike!

Just kidding.

I love Oprah.

August 1st, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Whoa she looks fantastic. I LOVE that hair.

August 1st, 2012 at 9:16 pm

If owning it, if having purchased it, and there is no outstanding balance due on it… if that means “real hair,” well, then yes, it is Oprah’s real hair.

August 2nd, 2012 at 3:15 pm

That’s not her real hair. Come on, she has some tracks in there. Black women don’t have full hair like that. Unless they are mixed. And she is not.

August 2nd, 2012 at 9:01 pm

@ Jay
You must not know very many black women (Based on your comment I assume that you are not black, but correct me if I’m wrong.). I’m black, have not permed my hair straight for four years, and it looks like this depending on how I style it. At this point in time, every black person in the Americas is somewhat ‘mixed’ due to the legacy of slavery, so we have all types of hair.

People ask me why some strands of my hair are straight, some curly/wavy, and others super curly. Black people have many different textures of hair, so like my hair, you might have four textures on one head. I have never worn a weave or wig, and people often asked me if my hair was real when it was permed straight and still ask now that I wear it natural.

August 2nd, 2012 at 9:32 pm

My favorite part of the article was where Bill Cosby told Oprah that she has the wrong head shape. Hardy Har!

August 13th, 2012 at 8:44 am

Beautiful head full of black hair. Stunning.