Angelina Jolie Says Charity Work Keeps Her From Living A ‘Shallow’ Life

Angelina Jolie says that doing charity work and experiencing the lives of those less fortunate has saved her from living a shallow life.

“Without the balance of doing things that actually matter in the world – and being part of the real world – then I would have been left in a bubble. That would have felt very empty and I probably would have just had a very shallow, horrible life.

“I’m very lucky that I’ve been allowed to, in the last 10 years, to travel and go into the world and welcomed into areas of the world where I see people and work with people who are survivors of war and refugees and people, just from everywhere and all walks of life and so I have a real view of the real world.”

The mom of six says these experiences have made her more grateful for her healthy kids:

“I’m very touched and very moved by people and what they overcome. They have always reminded me to just wake up in the morning and be grateful that your children are healthy. Nothing else matters.”

Tags:

Friday, February 10th, 2012 at 3:15pm
Filed under Angelina Jolie | 6 Comments

Comments

Comments

February 12th, 2012 at 10:48 am

It is true that we need to be concerned about the less fortunate in the world; however, charity begins at home, as they say. There are so many needs in our own country that are not being addressed right now. I think people would appreciate Ms Angelina Jolie more if she focused on just raising her own children to be healthy emotionally and mentally as well as physically. Also, what about the poor in our own country?

February 12th, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Amen Renee!

February 24th, 2012 at 6:11 am

perhaps orphans in the states still have a chance of making a decent living, and you have a social welfare system to look after these orphans but the kids she is adopting, may not have a shot because they do not have a welfare or social system. Sure it’s always easy to criticise “WHY” people are doing things differently from what you perceive is better, but why should she not follow her heart than follow yours? Doing a good deed is still a good deed no matter what form, color or size it is. Those kids she adopted are adapting well, seeing the world that many of us adults prob wish we had a chance and I think it is lovely that she is using actions than mere signing cheque book and opening her mouth or attending meaningless awareness parties. so AMEN to people like Angie for trying her best. She may not save everyone but at least she tries and that speaks more than some other people around us who are just crazy over brands and names…

June 8th, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Anjie, most people don’t have the time or money to do charity work and they don’t have shallow lives.
Money, fame and even helping others doesn’t always fullfill some people because of their own issues of self worth, etc…
I still think the world of her for doing what she does, but if some women decide they just want to raise their kids, bake cookies they too have the right to feel thay are living a full life.
Feminists can’t stick up for working women only and call themselves feminists.
If I had the money and the advantages I too would be doing charity work and differently then how she does it, not to say what she does isn’t important. I would be there for months, helping organize farms, build whatever the country needed and not just visit and/or give money althoug that is very important also as stated earlier.
I would like to think that she would be happy with whomever she would have become if not for the opportunities she was given due to fame, money, etc. Just being a good humanbeing is sufficient to make one proud since being nasty is so abundant in our society these days. Just live your live, be happy, proud and have more faith in yourself. If one is shallow one will live a shallow life, regardless of charity or no charity, it’s all in how you view your self worth. Something tells me she still feels shallow at times. Needs to know that nothing is ever good enough and it’s ok to feel this way, but you still matter and you still make a difference even if for one child or any other person. Hope all is well with her beautiful family.

December 12th, 2012 at 9:29 am

Ie, u don’t need money to do charity work feeding the homeless at a shelter requires nothing out of your pocket, and all she said was that charity keeps her from living a shallow life. Everybody, with the exception of musing, is taking the comment so personal, maybe she hit a nerve, maybe u wish u could do more and haven’t taken the time to do so. if charity work is what keeps her grounded good for her she’s found her calling now shut and find yours.

May 8th, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I think that the shallow life Angelina refers to is the life that many celebrities are constantly flaunting: their cars, houses, or the I’m-better-than-everybody attitude that some stars blog about. She and Brad have donated a lot to charities here in the U.S., especially in NOLA, where they have a home. She wasn’t inferring that regular folks are shallow, it sounds like a dig at a lot of the celebu-brats.