Michelle Duggar suffers a miscarriage.

In an unfortunate turn of events, what should have been a joyus day – turned out to be a nightmare for Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar.

The couple went in for a routine check-up today to find out the sex of their 20th child, and their doctor was unable to find a heartbeat. Now in her second trimester, Michelle suffered a miscarriage.

“After the appointment, we came back home and told the children,” says Michelle, 45.

“We had just been talking about baby names last night and they were getting excited about naming a boy or a girl. It has been a real sad disappointment.”

She says the family will select a name after they know if the baby was a boy or girl, and then plan to have funeral service.

“I feel like my heart broke telling my children,” says Michelle. “They have all been so excited about this baby and looking forward to April coming around and having a new little one in our arms. That was the most difficult. The Lord is the giver of life and he can choose when that life is ready to go on and be with Him.”

The stars of TLC’s 19 Kids and Counting previously weathered a medical ordeal with their youngest daughter, Josie, who was born in December 2009.

This was their second miscarriage; Michelle lost her baby during her second pregnancy. She was taking oral birth control at the time and cites this as one reason the couple together decided to leave the number of children they have “up to God.”

I’m so sorry she suffered a miscarriage. I’ve had two of my own, and I know how heartbreaking they are.

What I find troubling about this story – is that Michelle suffered the miscarriage TODAY – and she’s already releasing statements? No time to mourn? No time to be with your family, and deal with this painful loss?

That makes it even more sad to me…

People

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 at 2:14pm
Filed under TLC | 12 Comments

Comments

Comments

December 8th, 2011 at 2:45 pm

are you kidding me…stop having kids this is ridiculus,the last one almost died and this one did. its a sign to stop,you have too many now.

December 8th, 2011 at 2:49 pm

After the last pregnancy troubles and now this, I think her god is speaking to her loud and clear. Keep your damn legs closed. You are a grandmother now, pick a new hobby.

December 8th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I think she needs to stop. Just stop. You’ve over populated this world enough. GEEZ.

December 8th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I have to agree with everyone on this one. I suffered a miscarriage last year. It was my first pregnancy ever and since then I’ve been AFRAID of even trying to get pregnant. As much as I respect other people’s beliefs, this is no longer about religion. This is a medical issue! Yes, God saw it fit to give you 19 kids. But that fact that Josie almost died and the fact that this one did should be a sign! You can’t tell me that you’re going to be happy to get pregnant at 50, 60?? Enough is enough. One day it might be too late. One day she might die, too. Sad to say but it’s true. There’s a reason it’s not as safe for women to have children over 40. If something happens to her she has 19 other kids and a husband that she is leaving behind.

December 8th, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Plus the high risk of birth defects for women her age. I could understand taking that risk if she had no children, but under the circumstances, she needs to stop. I find it hard to believe that God wants her to continue this path.

I actually had a friend who did this into her mid 40s also. She had several miscarriages and then her body just would not get pregnant any longer. She had four children already.

December 8th, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I think this is incredibly sad but unfortunately not very surprising considering her age and the health of her last child when she was born. I think she has so completely identified with the “mother” role, that she doesn’t know how to not be pregnant! She doesn’t know how to exist as a woman whose main purpose in life isn’t to reproduce.

December 8th, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head Katie. I know religion plays a big part of it for them, but I have to agree I don’t think she knows how to exist without being pregnant. That’s a point of view I hadn’t really thought of.

December 9th, 2011 at 4:50 am

Religion aside, medical needs aside, we live in America and she’s not doing anything illegal. She hasn’t proven herself an unfit, unloving mother and all signs point to this being the absolute LAST thing she wanted so I think we don’t have the right to judge her.

Now if she were an unfit, uncaring, single mother who took decided to get pregnant for publicity and hasn’t made plans as to how to pay for the kids that’s one thing (octomom) but Michelle Duggar is not such a person and I am sad for her.

Seleznev">Seleznev
December 9th, 2011 at 6:34 am

The fact that they already have so many kids, that she’s 45 and that the last one had complications were the signs from God. But they stupidly, carelessly, selfishly ignored all those signs, and went ahead and got pregnant again anyway. This outcome is not a shock to anyone with any working knowledge of science or anatomy, things that should always be seriously considered by any couple wanting to have children naturally.

December 9th, 2011 at 6:55 am

She must have the worst case of Post Partum Depression ever! I too question the motive behind the announcement so soon after the event. I guess they felt it was necessary get it out there so we’d continue to talk about them and their hoard of children. It is her life, and her body–we can’t tell her what to do with it, but what kind of woman would put her health at risk when she has so many young children at home who still need a mother? At some point logical thinking has to replace the religious beliefs.

December 10th, 2011 at 1:16 am

Mel – I agree with your points, compared to Octomum they’re model parents. But how much ‘love’ can she offer to each child each day with 19 to look after? I barely have the time to walk my dog, let alone look after and nurture 19 children every day.

December 10th, 2011 at 6:20 am