What did you think of Ricky Gervais as host?

I love Ricky – I think he’s crass, but c’mon lets be honest…he says what everyone is thinking! Gotta give him a little bit of credit! While announcing Robert Downey Jr. was coming to stage, Ricky said “But many of you in this room probably know him best from such facilities as the Betty Ford Clinic and Los Angeles County Jail.”

Later, Downey Jr told reporters: “Aside from the fact that it’s been hugely mean-spirited with mildly sinister undertones, I’d say the vibe of the show has been pretty good so far, wouldn’t you?”

The British comic said the crowd should look forward to “a night of partying and heavy drinking — or as Charlie Sheen calls it, breakfast,” and then went on to re-tell the Two and a Half Men actor’s notorious NYC plaza fit.

He then trashed the nomination of The Tourist starring Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp despite critical pans.

“Who knows? I haven’t seen it,” Gervais admitted. “There’s this ridiculous rumor going around that the only reason The Tourist was nominated was so that the Hollywood Foreign Press could hang out with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. That’s rubbish. they also accepted bribes.” Depp was seen in the audience making a sour face.

He also threw in there a joke about Scientology – which I thought was hilarious.

“Also not nominated was ‘I Love You Philip Morris,’ Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor. Two heterosexual characters pretending to be gay,” he said. “So the complete opposite of some famous Scientologists, then.”

When the crowd started booing, Ricky hedged his words.

“Probably,” he said. “My lawyers helped me with the wording of that joke. They’re not here.”

UPDATE: According to Pop Eater, Ricky has already been banned from hosting next year.

Ricky Gervais trashed Angelina Jolie, Charlie Sheen, Hugh Hefner, Mel Gibson, God, Tom Cruise (and the list goes on) last night when he hosted the Golden Globes. But the joke that got him in the most trouble was when he made fun of Philip Berk, the current head of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA for short).

“Ricky will not be invited back to host the show next year, for sure,” a member of the HFPA tells Pop Eater, adding that Gervais’ relentlessly mean shtick could have even larger consequences. “For sure any movie he makes he can forget about getting nominated. He humiliated the organization last night and went too far with several celebrities whose representatives have already called to complain.”

To make matters worse, Gervais’ last words in the telecast were, “Thank God for making me an atheist.”

“Ricky blew it big time. It’s one thing to make fun of celebrities but it’s another to make them totally uncomfortable,” an insider tells Pop Eater. “People in that room were furious but had to sit and smile because the camera’s were on them. It really says something when several people who attended said they would have felt safer with Kathy Griffin hosting.”

Source, Source

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Monday, January 17th, 2011 at 9:09am
Filed under Golden Globes, Ricky Gervais, Robert Downey Jr. | 8 Comments

Comments

Comments

January 17th, 2011 at 9:45 am

I think he was terrible.. He is not funny, i never thought he was and his mouth is dirty. He has brown teeth and every time he opened his mouth to laugh i turned the channel.

January 17th, 2011 at 9:50 am

I didn’t think it was that funny, I thought he was just stating some obvious home truths. The fact that some of the audience got upset was what made it funny.

January 17th, 2011 at 10:12 am

I thought he was excellent. Oh sure he was scathing, but actors take themselves way too seriously. He picked on truths not rumors. I guess the truth is sometimes harder to take for the sensitive types.

January 17th, 2011 at 10:26 am

AMAZING. So so great. His humor isn’t for everyone i guess, but i found him completely hilarious.

January 17th, 2011 at 10:35 am

I thought he was really funny too. He made it so an awards show was actually enjoyable – and not a snooze! I hate boring awards shows!! And so does the rest of america! I bet once the ratings come in – they’ll see how much America yearns for an award show that’s actually interesting and entertaining. Not a stuffy show that will lull you to sleep while you watch!

January 17th, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I was expecting to get shocked, but the Scientology bit actually DID shock me….although I found it hilarious. I don’t think he was mean-spirited-he was TRYING to make people uncomfortable and it worked. One thing I can say about Mel Gibson (from last year) is that he can take a joke…obviously some of this year’s Hollywood elite are a little more thin-skinned. I’d also like to add that he wasn’t ‘trashing’ Angelina Jolie in particular, he was bringing up the point that the movie shouldn’t have been nominated. It was an average movie, I didn’t think it was as bad as the critics made it out to be, but it shouldn’t have been nominated.

January 17th, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Ricky Gervais was hilarious! The Hollywood crowd loves to dish it out to conservatives but couldn’t handle it when the tables were reversed, and the jokes were on them. Loved it. It’s pathetic they even have award shows where they do nothing but gush all over each other. All they do is play make believe for a living. Nothing important.

January 18th, 2011 at 4:37 am

GG: “All they do is play make believe for a living. Nothing important.”

Exactly! The adoration, to the level at which they enjoy it, is ridiculous. I felt uncomfortable for Johnny Depp as he’s just brilliant and does not take himself or his career too seriously or court the media, but the rest could use a little comeuppance. And really, is it really a shock that Ricky Gervais would go there? A bit odd that he would bite the hand that feeds, but the Brits speak their minds.