A spokesperson for Larry King announced today that Shawn King, Larry’s wife, is recovering from an apparent prescription drug overdose. The overdose happened at Shawn’s home in Provo, Utah on May 28th according to the AP.
Shawn’s father, Karl Engemann was the one to discover his daughter unresponsive in bed. According to the 911 transcript, Shawn was breathing, but Karl was unable to wake her. When he called 911, Shawn’s father told the 911 dispatcher that he believed his daughter had taken too much medication for depression or anxiety. He did not think his daughter had attempted suicide.
When paramedics arrived on the scene, they found several empty prescription bottles, some had been filled within the previous 10 days.
A handwritten note found on the scene indicated Shawn, 50, had taken the pills on purpose. A second note indicated she’d like to be buried in Utah. The police report didn’t mention why Shawn might have wanted to harm herself.
The Kings filed for divorce in April, though the couple has since reconciled. Shawn is Larry’s seventh wife. They pair got married in 1997 and have two sons.
Man, that’s really too bad, hopefully Shawn gets the help she needs.