Mariah Carey apologizes over Michael Jackson memorial performance

Mariah Carey

Mariah Carey wishes she had done a better job performing Jackson 5′s biggest hit, “I’ll Be There,” at Michael Jackson’s memorial Tuesday at Los Angeles’ Staples Center.

In a post on her Twitter page, the singer (who wore a black Jenny Packham gown to the service) says she was just too overcome with emotion. As Carey sang the song with frequent collaborator Trey Lorenz, photos of Jackson flashed on a huge screen above them.

“Trying to sing today was basically impossible for me,” writes Carey. “I could barely keep myself from crying. I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to pull it together and really do it right, but I was literally choked up when I saw him there in front of me.”

“One thing I know is, we will never really have to say goodbye to MJ. His legacy lives on through his music and the millions of people. He inspired with his timeless music. He will be forever in our hearts,” she adds.

Source, Bauer-Griffin

Wednesday, July 8th, 2009 at 2:14pm
Filed under Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson | 14 Comments

Comments

Comments

AmstraD">AmstraD
July 8th, 2009 at 9:29 pm

She said that because Jennifer Hudgens blows her performance with her voice

July 9th, 2009 at 12:53 am

It was terrible…But then again, I didn’t hear anything out of the ordinary. She always is terrible.

July 9th, 2009 at 3:06 am

She can’t sing that is her problem. Why do people like her so much. I think she is ugly and does not have a voice and can’t act. Oh well to each his own

July 9th, 2009 at 4:38 am

she did seem like she was going to break down at the beginning, actually- for a sec I was like “oh crap she’s not gonna make it.”

July 9th, 2009 at 4:50 am

Give me a break with that “I was emotional” crap. She sounded horrible and she didn’t even know Michael. Please.

July 9th, 2009 at 5:55 am

(Jennifer Hudgens?? Geez, if you are going to be critical, at least get the names right!!) Look, I’m no great fan of Mariah Carey, but it is perfectly understandable that she be overcome given the situation. She was the first artist to perform, and as such, she was probably out of the arena when his casket was brought in. Seeing it for the first time from the stage as she was set to perform HAD to be a shock to her. Under those circumstances, I think she performed admirably, and doesn’t owe anyone an apology. Usher cried. Brooke Shields cried. It was a memorial/funeral for crying out loud. These people aren’t robots, and it was nice that for once we got to see the personal side that they so often hide from the public.

The death of a star is not something that I or anyone else want to see happen everyday, but if it does, I think we all are people (loved ones, friends and fans) first, performers second.

July 9th, 2009 at 7:13 am

I’m not a fan of Mariah Carey, but under the circumstances, thought she was fine. Nobody was looking for a stellar performance from anyone. It was a memorial, not a concert.

July 9th, 2009 at 8:22 am

Is it just me, or does her dog have an erection?

July 9th, 2009 at 8:59 am

Who cares? And why were you even watching this circus. You’re celebrating the life of MJ why??? He was a middle-aged, drug-addled pedophile. I just don’t get it.

Team Brenda">Team Brenda
July 9th, 2009 at 9:28 am

I noticed that her performance Tuesday paled in comparison to her Unplugged performance years ago. That cover was amazing. Tuesday’s…not so much. But it’s understandable that she was full of grief. Still, as a professional, one has to weather these things and give it 100%.

July 9th, 2009 at 10:46 am

She didn’t start the song well at all, but given the circumstances that was completely understandable.

I don’t remember her singing at ANY funeral/memorial let alone the greatest entertainer to walk the earth.

Everyone handles things in different ways but you could hear her trying to pull it together and I thought she recovered well.

Dress choice however, for a memorial… I think a little more material would have been a good idea.

grasshopper">grasshopper
July 10th, 2009 at 9:19 am

she didn’t do that bad IMO

July 13th, 2009 at 9:48 am

rk: \"Is it just me, or does her dog have an erection?\"

I dunno…do you have an erection?

July 17th, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Michael Jackson was loved by me not only as an entertainer, but as a human being with extraordinary gifts. His singing per pitch perfect! Joan Dowlin’s article brought tears to my eyes. I’m still crying after MJ has left us. To the readers out there… Joan Dowlin apologized for the misinformation that she was fed about Michael Jackson. I dare you too to go online and apologize as well. Some of you didn’t have the facts and you just rode the bandwagon and speaking loudly and wrongly about an innocent human being. God Bless Michael Jackson as he enters heaven. The angels all welcome him with open arms.