Garth Brooks has overtaken Elvis as the best selling solo artist in history!

ib0garthbrooks12.jpg

The country star, who shot to fame with 1990′s ‘No Fences’ album, has sold 123 million units in his career, reports Variety.

The Recording Industry Association Of America awarded Brooks two Diamond Awards for his albums ‘Seven’ and ‘ Garth Brooks’ today (November 5), in recognition of each album’s sales, which have exceeded ten million.

The singer, who is married to fellow country star Trisha Yearwood, accepted the awards at his star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame.

I believe it!  Hate to admit, but I love me some Garth. I saw him in Portland once…can’t deny I loved it.  Don’t hold it against me!

Tuesday, November 6th, 2007 at 5:17pm
Filed under Garth Brooks | 26 Comments

Comments

Comments

November 6th, 2007 at 6:30 pm

What’s wrong with loving Garth? You’re obviously not alone!

November 6th, 2007 at 6:33 pm

That makes me want to throw up!

November 6th, 2007 at 7:02 pm

I’m not too big on country but the artists are very talented. They can actually sing unlike many of the pop and RnB stars of 2day. Garth is talented. I’d say he deserved it.

November 7th, 2007 at 2:18 am

I absolutely think Garth is one of the best singers in country music today..Even tho he sort of retired to raise his daughters, I still think hes great! Hope he comes back big time.

November 7th, 2007 at 6:57 am

You’re not alone! Love me some Garth too. Seeing him live was one of the top two live shows I’ve ever seen. Springsteen was the other one. It would be impossible to determine who gave more to their shows.

November 7th, 2007 at 7:01 am

I don’t like his voice but I do like some of his songs. However I am a DIEHARD Elvis fan and suddenly have the urge to go out and buy a ton of Elvis records so he reclaims the lead. I think this is only temporary. Elvis was an innovator of a whole genre and new generations are going to be buying more of his records than Garths.

Brenda">
Brenda">Brenda
November 7th, 2007 at 7:37 am

I LOVE HIM LOVE HIM LOVE HIM.

November 7th, 2007 at 8:50 am

Although I respect Garth and do like his music I don’t understand how it can be stated that Garth has outsold Elvis when it is recorded that Elvis has sold over a billion records/CDs. Elvis will always be “the King”!

November 7th, 2007 at 9:19 am

i saw garth live too. it was one of the best concerts i ever saw. he is not only a great singer/songwriter, but also a great performer. he went a little sideways with the whole chris gaines thing, but most people have forgiven and forgotten that whole thing. i hope he comes back with something huge and blows these “artists” out of the water. music is nothing like it used to be.

November 7th, 2007 at 10:05 am

November 7th, 2007 at 2:04 pm

i have never heard one of his songs it’s probably because i hate country music with a passion.

there must be alot of rednecks in america for him to outsell elvis which i doubt because elvis is still selling records and is the richest dead person.

November 7th, 2007 at 8:01 pm

I just flew from Seatlle to the 1st concert (of 9) he’s currently doing in KCMO. I’m a diehard fan, and 11/5 was my 30th birthday!!

Is Garth the BEST country singer out there? No. He’s been quoted in an interview saying that.
Is he one of the best PERFORMERS/ENTERTAINERS in the world? YES! His shows are unmatched! I’ve been twice now, once in 1997.
Additionaly, he’s a smart businessman that knows how to ensure he’s records keep selling, eg box sets, DVD releases, the current deal with Wal*Mart, etc. But it’s not truly about that for him.
And what makes him what he is? The fact that he’s real. You read above that he’s been knocked for his temporary retirement. He reitred to raise his children! Aren’t we asking Britney to do that? I commend him!
And as far as the Chris Gaines album. I dare the anti-country crowd to NOT like that album. Don’t think “Garth” when you listen–and you’ll be surprised by his vocal diversity and ability. If I were to ever meet the man, I’d want to talk about that album because I belive that concept album his least manufactured, and his most heart-felt.
Almost 20 years in the public and he’s still a phenomena! Garth’s done it with grace, humility, honesty, and an ability to show his audience how much he truly feels their love!

I now step down from my soapbox. Feel free to post or e-mail your thoughts (good or bad) to me. I’d love to hear what you think.

Garth, I’m a true fan and hope you’re reading this right now.

November 7th, 2007 at 8:13 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE me some Garth.
I even found a way to write a paper about his life in one of my university English classes. I only ever got to go to that one concert, but what a show it was! I wish he would tour more down here …Miami, FL

August 29th, 2008 at 2:59 pm

Elvis records were never correctly counted. Example. in 1982 the Guiness Book of World Records has pegged Evlis at around 350 million, the Beatles around 1 billion. It was about 10 years later, all of a sudden Elvis is pegged at around 1 billion. Duh. Do the math. There ain’t no way in hell Elvis sold almost 65 million records a year in that time span. The Beatles still sat at 1 billion, so I assume they sold nothing. RCA is nuts. Oh yeah, they also claimed they found some papers or whatever to prove it. The story goes something like that. Elvis, man the man is a joke. Ever hear him butcher Beatles songs. Just awful, just awful.

September 25th, 2008 at 10:12 am

You ever hear him sing Beatles songs NUMBNUTS your the joke. just listen to him sing [something] and you tell me who is better. besides the Beatles worshiped ELVIS’S COCK like you worship your boyfriends.

April 20th, 2009 at 3:35 pm

1. The Claims that the Beatles had sold a billion was made by a low leval EMI operative and has no substance whatsoever. No senior EMI offical has ever made that claim. No serious research will support it.
2. The claim for Elvis selling well over a billion are supported by substantial research by RCA based on a multitude of factors which apply to no other artist.
3. Certified as in Garth Brookes or the Beatles is not the same as actual total sales.
4. Neither Brookes , The Beatles, Madonna, Jackson,Maria, nor any other artist are even close to Elvis in respect of global total sales.

July 10th, 2009 at 7:38 pm

According to the RIAA the Beatles have sold 170 million albuns in the US compared to 119 million for Elvis Presley.

According to Soundscan during the period 1991-2008 The Beatles sold 57 million albums in the US compared to 30 million for Elvis Presley.

These are the only audited figures for the US. The worldwide talies of a billion album sale for The Beatles and Elvis are not plausible. This refers to units sold. According to the formula used:

An album = 6 units
An EP = 2 units
A single = 1 unit

According to Variety and Billboard magazine by November 1972 The Beatles had sold 545 units world wide – a world record.

In the 1971 Guinness Book of Records The Beatles global sales by September 1970 were 133 million (74 million singles, 3 million EP\’s and 56 million albums) which represents 416 in singles equivalents. In the same edition the global sales for Elvis Presley by September 1970 were 130 million representing 275 million singles equivalents.

This is taken directly from the 1971 Guiness Book of Records.

So obviously The Beatles sold far more albums in that period than Elvis, with Elvis selling more singles.

In the 1981 Guiness Book of records and I quote \"The all time Beatles sales by the end of 1978 have been estimated at 100 million singles and 100 million albums – a total unmatched by any other recording artist\".

In the 1981 edition it also said that it may be assumed Elvis had succeeded Bing Crosby as the biggest selling sole recording artist despite no independently audited figures.

In the 1985 Guiness Book of Records the all time Beatles sales by May 1984 have been estimated by EMI at over 1000 million discs and tapes. Again they mentioned that there were no independently audited figures for Elvis but it was assumed that he had surpassed Bing Crosby as the top selling solo artist of all time. The Beatles were still considered to be the biggest selling artists of all time.

As The Beatles have outsold Elvis by 27 million in album sales during the period 1991-2008 in the US alone obviously The Beatles are the biggest selling artists of all time.

In Great Britain The Beatles have sold the most albums 38 million plus (many more than Elvis) and also have sold more singles 20.71 million compared to 20.66 million for Elvis. According to RCA/BMG Britain is the second biggest market for Elvis, but still The Beatles have outsold him.

July 10th, 2009 at 11:43 pm

According to the RIAA, The Beatles have sold 170 million albums in the US, compared to 119 million albums for Elvis Presley.

According to Soundscan, during the period 1991-2008 The Beatles sold 57 million albums in the US compared to 30 million albums sold by Elvis Presley.

These are the only audited sales figures for the US and The Beatles have outsold Elvis Presley by a considerable margin.

In the UK, The Beatles are the biggest album sellers with 38 million albums sold – far more than Elvis. In the UK The Beatles have sold 20.71 million singles compared to 20.66 million singles for Elvis.
The UK is the second biggest selling market for Elvis according to RCA/BMG executives but The Beatles have still sold more.

It is not plausible that The Beatles or Elvis or anyone else has sold a billion albums worldwide. They may have sold a billion units. A single is equivalent to the sale of one unit. An album is equivalent to the sale of 6 units, an EP equivalent to the sale of 2 units.

It appears The Beatles are the biggest selling artists world wide by a considerable margin.

July 11th, 2009 at 12:17 am

According to the RIAA The Beatles have sold 170 million albums in the US compared to 119 million by Elvis.

According to Soundscan The Beatles sold 57 million albums during the period 1991-2008 compared to 30 million for Elvis.

In the 1985 Guiness Book of Records the all time Beatles sales are estimated by EMI at over 1000 million discs and tapes. In this same edition it states that no independently audited figures for Elvis have been published but it may be assumed that Elvis has succeeded Bing Crosby as the biggest selling solo artist of all time.

A reputable institution like Guinness Book of Records would not contact a low level EMI employe3e but would speak to a high level executive who would provide an audited figure.

It appears the Beatles are biggest selling recording artists of all time.

July 11th, 2009 at 12:55 am

According to Sounscan between 1991-2008 The Beatles sold 57 million albums in the US compared to 30 million albums for Elvis.

According to the 1985 Guinness Book of Records the all time Beatles sales by May 1984 were over 1000 million. These figures were provided by EMI not as low level EMI employee.

According to the Guinness Book of Records no independently audited sales figures for Elvis have been released. The Beatles sales figures are audited as shown by the many lawsuits between the Beatles and EMI over unpaid royalties which the BEatles always win.

In audited sales figures (eg RIAA and Soundscan) the Beatles are a long way ahead.

tommy">
tommy">tommy
August 21st, 2009 at 3:30 pm

the only way they or anyone will know is if they add every record a artist has sold know matter if it sold one record or 100 million count them all thats the only way you will erer know who sold the most records if thats not the way to know i dont know.

Tahirah">Tahirah
November 5th, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Good afternoon. The dead might as well try to speak to the living as the old to the young. Help me! It has to find sites on the: . I found only this – university of phoenix major. Stop charges the decision from these orders as willing, or direct gallon. Undertake, though positive transaction is better that well ordinary. With best wishes :rolleyes:, Tahirah from Bolivia.

juan aulet">juan aulet
December 2nd, 2009 at 8:00 am

according to emi and the RIAA the beatles have sold close to 2 billion records and tapes, no other artist has come close!

February 17th, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Actually Elvis is the biggest selling artist ever. While many of his sales were never properly certified based on world-wide sales charts he has been more successful than anyone. More than 3,000 Presley titles have been issued globally since the ’50s. The amount of product that has been issued and continues to be issued is nothing short of phenomenal.

The RIAA do not tally world sales, so they have no business claiming the Beatles sold more than Elvis globally, they don’t account for global figures and even their own data for US sales is bogus. Anyone believe Led Zeppelin sold anything close to the Beatles?

visit india">visit india
June 10th, 2012 at 2:23 am

I have observed that of all forms of insurance, medical health insurance is the most dubious because of the issue between the insurance company’s obligation to remain profitable and the client’s need to have insurance plan. Insurance companies’ profits on overall health plans are low, hence some organizations struggle to earn profits. Thanks for the strategies you reveal through your blog.

August 28th, 2014 at 11:42 am

spy shop London, we sell bugs, covert spy cameras