Charlize Theron Ponders Motherhood

charlizetheroninthevalleyofelahphotocallduringday4ofthe64thvenicefilmfestival16.jpg charlizetheroninthevalleyofelahphotocallduringday4ofthe64thvenicefilmfestival15.jpg

Oscar winner Charlize Theron is putting off motherhood for as long as possible – because she doesn’t want to look like “a whale”. The Monster star admits she has confusing thoughts about parenting – because she knows she’ll be a mom one day.

The 32-year-old actress says, “Getting pregnant doesn’t excite me, but having kids does. I know I’ll be a mother one day. It’s just that I don’t really want to look like a whale. But I’m sure the idea of something growing inside you is pretty powerful.”

charlizetheroninthevalleyofelahphotocallduringday4ofthe64thvenicefilmfestival08.jpgcharlizetheroninthevalleyofelahphotocallduringday4ofthe64thvenicefilmfestival21.jpgcharlizetheroninthevalleyofelahphotocallduringday4ofthe64thvenicefilmfestival04.jpg

Friday, September 7th, 2007 at 1:13pm
Filed under Charlize Theron | 7 Comments

Comments

Comments

September 7th, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Wow she doesn’t want to look like a whale. I thought she was smarter than that. She will be a great mom! Maybe she can have her toddler on a diet so it can lose it’s baby fat.

Cris">
Cris">Cris
September 7th, 2007 at 2:40 pm

Uh, so she’ll gain weight for a movie (and oscar) but not for a baby?

September 7th, 2007 at 3:57 pm

I agree with Cris, she totally transforms herself for Monster but she says she’ll look like a whale if she has a child. huh?

September 8th, 2007 at 12:27 pm

To erin, cris and truetrue: just wondering if you guys are mothers and if so if you gave birth to those children (vs. adopting). Not to take away anything from adoptive mothers — but I don’t think you can judge another woman (even a celebrity) for being concerned about what is going to happen to them physically during those 9 months. The “transformations” she has gone through for movie roles like Monster were temporary (and voluntary). Unless you’ve given birth, you can’t imagine what’s going to happen to your body — and that fear of the unknown is natural and understandable.

I am a mother of two and I shared similar views of pregnancy as Ms. Theron before I got pregnant. I knew I wanted children but for some reason dreaded the pregnancy and delivery. Not that I was afraid of gaining weight, but I was scared about what I was going to put my body through. As it happens, my fears were well-founded. I had two really horrible pregnancies — morning sickness to the point of having to be hospitalized for dehydration, kidney stones, problems with my eyes (they change shape during pregnancy – who knew?), gestational diabetes — even though I was perfectly healthy going into the pregnancies and took very good care of myself every step of the way.

I gave birth to two healthy children (both via c-section — another thing I was scared about but both deliveries were successful which is all that is important). My kids are now 10 and 7, and my good health was completely restored with 6-8 weeks of delivery. But it is true what they say — the wonder of having children helps you forget the negative parts of pregnancy and delivery — otherwise why would I have voluntarily gone through it TWICE?

So my advice to Ms. Theron is not to wait too long since she is already 32. There’s never a perfect time, you’re never 100% ready emotionally (movie stars have the advantage of being ready financially, which is why some “normal” people like us hold off). Just do it, Charlize — I’m sure you’ll be a great mommy and Stuart will be a great daddy!

September 8th, 2007 at 4:31 pm

Okay, you’re taking this way too personally…! LOL

September 8th, 2007 at 6:06 pm

wow that comment was so stupid and superficial

September 8th, 2007 at 10:00 pm

i dont know about your pregnancy..but mine was only temporary. i’m sure charlize has little to worry about considering she can hire personal trianers, nutrionists, nannies, and a team of plastic surgeons if need be to get her body back..