Is Katie Holmes having a hard time finding a job?

tom-cruise-katie-dop1a.jpg

Actress Katie Holmes is having problems finding work because of her marriage to Tom Cruise and his belief in Scientology, according to Hollywood insiders.

The 28-year-old has reportedly asked her agent to relaunch her career following her break to marry Cruise and have their daughter, Suri.  But studios are said to be wary of the negative publicity surrounding her conversion to Scientology – and Cruise’s outspoken statements about his religion, which have included an attack on the use of antidepressants by Brooke Shields.

“Studios may be gun-shy of her new status as a tabloid fixture,” one movie insider told the Wall Street Journal yesterday. “And her expectations may be raised as the new Mrs Cruise. Stars of much bigger stature, including Meg Ryan and Demi Moore, have found it tough to regain their momentum after taking time off.”

Cruise’s beliefs are also said to be considered ‘a box-office liability’, which may be why he was dumped by the Paramount studio last summer.

Miss Holmes could not strike a deal to appear in the sequel to Batman Begins, despite starring in the original, but will co-star in the forthcoming comedy Mad Money opposite Queen Latifah.

Monday, January 29th, 2007 at 9:09am
Filed under Katie Holmes, Tom Cruise | 18 Comments

Comments

Comments

January 29th, 2007 at 9:51 am

So it is a liability to have a religion? I listen to plent of artists that I don’t agree with them politically, but I still love their music. I think people are more understanding than the studios think. MI3 was a very cool movie. Tom Cruise makes good movies. A lot of people were fired at Paramount in the last several months and the were high ups. Paramount’s excuse may not be exactly the truth.

January 29th, 2007 at 10:16 am

PP I agree! I dont have to be a scientologist in order to watch Tom Cruise movies. He’s an awsome actor period. He’s not killing or hurting anyone. I don’t understand why people make such a big deal about his religion. Who cares? Gosh, the way we put each other down and segregate each other according to race, religion and sexual orientation is pathetic!! Just be proud of being all Americans and embrace the ones with talent.

January 29th, 2007 at 10:22 am

IT’S NOT A RELIGION, you assholes. It’s a commercial enterprise.
Yes, it has tax exempt status but it used blackmail to get it.

January 29th, 2007 at 11:07 am

I don’t care what Tom or Katie believe at a religious stand point. I would watch there movies regardless. The majority of Tom’s movies I’ve loved, and I’ll keep spending money to see them. That doesn’t mean I agree with everything he does, or says. I think people give him a hard time, and the media blows everything out of proportion. A lot of actors and singers voice there opinions politically, which most of the time to me I disagree, but I still go see their movies, or listen to their music. They are celebrities, but at the end of the day, they are just people, they make mistakes, and their opinions or no better than mine or yours.

January 29th, 2007 at 11:39 am

His ignorant ass comments about depression brings stigma back to using anti-depressants. Or at least attempts to do so. The crazy fuck can believe what he wants, but the second he pushes his idiotic morals on other people’s problems is the time to backlash.

Katie Holmes is just a pathetic stepford wife and I don’t blame studios from backing off

January 29th, 2007 at 11:40 am

January 29th, 2007 at 11:48 am

I could care less about Katie’s religion. She’s a bad actress period and that’s why I wouldn’t watch her movies. Ok she’s not horrible but she’s still not good.

January 29th, 2007 at 11:52 am

I thought it was because she stunk as an actress.

January 29th, 2007 at 1:55 pm

I don’t think Katie didn’t do the Batman sequel b/c of her religion. I believe she said no b/c of scheduling conflicts with that Queen Latifah movie. So obviously, her religion and hubby are a bit off at times and so is her agent.

January 29th, 2007 at 2:01 pm

“MIKE” Sumner Redstone , who gave Cruise the boot, said specifically that it was his off-screen antics, and his inability to draw the box office numbers DUE TO his off screen antics that made him decide to fire Cruise. It’s no mystery

January 29th, 2007 at 2:08 pm

Personally I never cared for Tom Cruise, don’t think he is a very good actor and probably never will care for him. He is always Tom Cruise in his films. A good actor becomes the character. Katie Holmes on the other end was a fairly decent actress, now she is a plastic barbie doll.

January 29th, 2007 at 2:16 pm

If the cult of L.Ron didn’t use FAIR GAME as a tactic, or I guess “core tenet of their religious expression”, maybe it wouldn’t be so tough for their freaky thetans.

Fair game is the practice of harrassing, bringing lawsuits, etc. against “suppressive persons”, i.e. anyone who doesn’t fall in with scientology.

Katie made her bed… she can lie in it.

January 29th, 2007 at 2:57 pm

Katie was the weakest actor in Batman Begins. The critics complained about her acting in the film, or lack thereof, back in 2005. Her antics during the press junkets and premieres for Batman Begins was unprofessional. Who’s says on national television that they’d see another movie over the one they’re suppose to be out promoting. And it’s come up numerous times since Batman Begins came out in articles that they didn’t want her back to reprise the role. The studio had been talking about a sequel since Batman Begins came out and all of the original actors except Katie are said to be back… doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what really happened. Her PR team releasing the reason as a “scheduling conflict” was to try to save face.

January 29th, 2007 at 3:39 pm

Yeah, her converting to scientology and becoming all stepford wife-like is creepy but let’s not forget that she’s also a horrible actress. Just because you can furrow your brows, repeat some lines with an empty look in your eyes doesn’t mean you can act!

January 30th, 2007 at 6:49 am

Good luck with that Kate. I hope your five-year contract with Tom supplies you with lots of money, because you’re not going to be making it acting.

May 30th, 2009 at 9:34 am

katie holmes is from toledo,ohio and gives us a bad name

Action Figures">Action Figures
March 23rd, 2010 at 3:56 am

I was looking for Action Figure related articles, this was great – bookmarked your site!